Time for Butterflies

We had a day off from teaching today, so Ken thought it would be nice to go to the Biocentro Guembe Marioposario.  In English, its the Biocenter Guembe Butterfly Farm.  Guembe is an eco-resort where families can go and swim in sand bottom pools, see the monkey island, go into a giant aviary and see toucans, peacocks and parrots and as the name suggests, a large screened in butterfly breeding area.  This is all located just outside of Santa Cruz in a jungle type area as you can see by the picture taken from the top of the aviary which was way too many steps as you can see by the height above the trees.  In the distance, you can see some of the mountains.
 The temperature today was once again about 32 degrees but in the jungle area where the aviary and the butterflies were, the humidity was terrible and I am sure I lost a couple of litres in perspiration while we were out there.  It did give all of us a chance to see some of the local birds and butterflies up close and they had signs with what to look for and their names for reference.  We even ran into a celebrity, but he wouldn't give us an autograph.
 
I am not buying Fruit Loops any more.
Being a jungle area, there were also lots of animals who were not part of the tour which gave the boys something to chase after every once in a while.  One of the items they tried to catch was this little fellow.

 
In this heat, they are really warm and move very quickly.  The boys didn't really ever have a chance to grab him because he was so fast.  Since there is nothing in the picture to give you an idea of size, he was just about a foot long.  We saw a few of them throughout the day but this was the closest we got and the only time they stood still enough for a picture.
The butterflies were also very nice to see.  There is something calming about standing in a large jungle area with a couple hundred butterflies fluttering around over your head and landing on you if you stand still.  Overall, everyone had a good day and nobody receive any head wounds.  Logan is healing up nicely and is still milking it every chance he gets.  Like when we played Risk, he said "Oh come on, you have to let me win.  I have a hole in my head."  I politely explained to him that he already had a bunch of pre-made holes in his head.  He just had one extra.  Logan is also the first of the Anderson kids to have stitches.  Knowing Logan, it won't be his last either.
 
Its back to school tomorrow for everyone, and back to the doctor for Logan to make sure there is no infection.  There goes another 8 bucks.


1 comment:

Barth said...

I have a spare 8 bucks I can lend. I'll include an extra 16 bucks for any future endeavors. I also bought a box of your super duper deodorant because my Spider sense was tingling and I figured you'd be out of "the for emergencies only" kit. The wife also bought me 3 new t-shirts today so if you require something without stains I can include that in the "Care Package". They come in 3 colors to me but for you they're all greys. As soon as you give the word I will ship the remaining sticks in your direction.

Post a Comment